- Have a high school education or equivalency.
- Must successfully complete 150 hours of pre-licensure education.
- Complete a 90-hour general real estate course.
- Two 30-hour courses on Agency/Ethics and Office Management and related topics.
- Must have been continually licensed and employed on a full-time basis as a New Jersey real estate salesperson for the three years immediately preceding application.
After completion of all three courses applicants must submit to the Education Qualification Section of the Commission their completed school certificate and a completed Experience Report For Broker Applicant form.
Following review and approval, the applicant will be mailed a Certificate of Examination Eligibility, which may be used to make a reservation to take the Broker license examination. An applicant must pass the broker license examination and apply for and request the issuance of a license as a broker or broker-salesperson not later than one year after their successful completion of the broker pre-licensure education requirements.
If an applicant has ever been convicted of a crime or is currently on parole or probation their application for a real estate license may be denied. See N.J.S.A. 45:15-9, 45:1512.1 and 2A:168A-1 et seq.
If you are a disabled United States Veteran and a citizen of New Jersey, it may be possible to secure waivers of the education and experience requirements for licensure. Please contact the Commission’s Education Waiver Section at 609-292-7272 for details.
New Jersey does not have reciprocity with any state.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please do not hesitate to contact us at (908) 264-2020